Plumbing emergency: the dangers of a gas leak

Natural gas can leaks are extremely dangerous, and will occur when there is a leak in the gas line or burning appliances. 

Seeing as gas is lighter than air, a leak will result in the gas filling all available space in the house, which creates a toxic and extremely flammable environment, unsafe for anyone in or around the area. 

A gas leak is considered a plumbing emergency, as they can become very dangerous, very quickly. If you suspect a leak in your home please contact the professionals immediately.

How to detect a gas leak?

Gas leaks can be easily detected by the smell. It is often described to have a rotten egg smell or sulfuric scent, this will be the first sign of any leakage.

Often you may also experience some side effects from exposure to a leak. If you are feeling dizzy, lightheaded, or nauseous, this may be due to a gas leak. 

You will also be able to detect a leak by monitoring the behaviour of your household appliances. If your stove flame is a lighter yellow/ orange rather than a deep sharp blue, or if your pilot light is burnt out. If there is also soot or scorched areas on your stove or gas appliances, it may be a gas leak.

What to do if you suspect a gas leak

As stated, gas leaks are an emergency situation and there are certain protocols which should be followed in the lead up to emergency plumbing help. 

Listed are the specific steps you need to follow if you suspect a gas leak in your home. 

Do not enter your property under any circumstances, or if you are already inside, remove yourself from the situation and leave your house immediately. This will ensure you and your family are safe from potential carbon monoxide poisoning, or any flammable situations. 

Be sure not to smoke, light matches, or spark flames whilst inside or around the area. It will only take a slight ignition to start a large fire if the gas leak has already filled the available space in the house.   

Turn off all lights and appliances, similarly, certain appliances can also be flammable, especially in the situation where a gas leak is present. Lights and switches may cause sparks if they are constantly being switched on and off, so avoid it all together for your own safety. 

You should raise your windows and open your doors, as this will diffuse the concentration of gas as well as help with the ventilation of air. The expanded surface area will open up space and be more difficult for the gas to fill one area. 

Avoid using mobile or electronic devices. These devices channel low frequency transmissions, which could spark fire or explosions when reacting with gas. The same reaction will occur at petrol stations whilst you fill up your car. That’s why we’re advised not to use mobile devices while filling up.

Think you have a gas leak? Call the professionals at Foster’s Plumbing

Never ignore the smell of gas, as even small leaks will eventually lead to an explosive concentration of gas.

If you are concerned for your home or safety, or call Foster’s Plumbing 24 hour emergency service hotline on 0415 169 603

For any gas or plumbing troubles, large or small, in the Gold Coast area, Nathan and his experienced team at Foster’s Plumbing are qualified to handle all your plumbing needs. 

With our free, no obligation quote, discover why our clients always pick Fosters. 
Contact us today or visit our website, alternatively see our Facebook page for latest updates, expert knowledge and tips and tricks.